Purchase Hug Machine by Scott Campbell at Bookmarks
Who have YOU hugged today? Open your arms to this delightfully tender, goofy, and sweet tale.
Whether you are big, or small, or square, or long, or spikey, or soft, no one can resist his unbelievable hugs! HUG ACCOMPLISHED! This endearing story encourages a warm, caring, and buoyantly affectionate approach to life. Everyone deserves a hug!
This was one of my daughter’s favorite books growing up. Every year for Valentine’s day we give her a book. As soon as we saw the cover of Hug Machine we knew it was going to be the perfect gift for our five year old that doled out hugs to everyone she met. She’s still the best little hugger I know.
While we’ve been quarantined, she’s missed hugging her friends. One of the best huggers she knows works at a store in town. Every time my daughter sees her, she runs and leaps into her arms. We joke that my daughter will be a teen and still jumping into this sweet friend’s arms. The only way to get this friend a hug was to make one, complete with her favorite things (cats and pizza) on the shirt. We dropped the life sized hug on our friends porch and received the best response that she literally wrapped the arms around her when she opened it. Is there someone you want to hug? Make them this life sized hug and drop it in the mail or leave it on a front porch!
- large paper – it needs to be long enough for you to lie flat with your arms out, and this might require taping some paper together
- favorite drawing materials // markers, colored pencils, crayons, etc
click images for larger view
- Place the large paper on the floor. Lie flat and have a friend trace around you with a pencil.
- Who are you sending your hug to? Maybe you want to draw some of their favorite things on the shirt, or use their favorite colors? However you decide to draw your hug will be just right!
- Use your favorite drawing materials to add color, patterns and designs to your shirt.
- Draw your facial features and hair. Color in.
- Cut out your life size hug.
- Roll it up. Mail it in a tube or drop it off on a friend or family members doorstep.
- Hug accomplished!
- Make “finger hugs”. Instead of doing a life sized hug, make mini hugs that can wrap around a finger. These are much easier to mail!