Purchase The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street by Karina Yan Glaser at Bookmarks.
The Vanderbeekers have always lived in the brownstone on 141st Street. It’s practically another member of the family. So when their reclusive, curmudgeonly landlord decides not to renew their lease, the five siblings have eleven days to do whatever it takes to stay in their beloved home and convince the dreaded Beiderman just how wonderful they are. And all is fair in love and war when it comes to keeping their home.
It’s easy to get lost in the world of the Vanderbeeker siblings! You’ll find yourself scheming right along with Oliver, Jessie, Isa, Hyacinth and Laney – wondering how they can keep their home. They’re idea of sharing acts of kindness is something that all children can relate with, and it’s a sweet reminder that we can give of ourselves, gifting our talents and time rather than a store-bought gift. In the spirit of Oliver’s kindness coupons, I’ve created a template you can download to design your own kindness coupons to bestow as gifts to family and friends.
click images for larger view
- Download (from the materials list) and print the Kindness Coupons on cardstock.
- Think about who you want to create coupons for. What is something special you can do for them that they would appreciate? Think about Oliver’s coupons, and what he gave. It takes a lot for him to say he won’t make fun of his sister’s cooking – that will require a lot of willpower for a month! Laney loves to be read to, so that is a wonderful gift for her, and requires Oliver to share his time.
- Write in what the coupon gift is, and fill out the to/from section.
- Use a pencil to sketch a picture of what you’re gifting.
- Use markers and/or colored pencils to color in the drawings.
- Cut the coupons out and gift to family and friends!
- You don’t need the Kindness Coupons template. Create your own coupons with any paper you have at home.
- Create a coupon book with several coupons for one person.